Friday, September 28, 2007

Phanthom limbs

Jo asks, "Without running - what would you miss?"

My sanity. Movement. Clarity of mind. Pure bodily exertion--which is more concentrated in running than any other sport. Testing and extending my stamina--which is a journey more than a destination. Deep breathing: I breath through my nose when I run--almost exclusively--because it keeps my throat from drying. As a yoga practitioner will tell you, deep breathing happens through your nose. Now, imagine doing that at six, seven or eight mph--yeah, yoga just doesn't cut it for me.

Experiencing more.
In a car all the scenery passes by quickly as a blur. When you're walking you might look around and see interesting things. But sometimes, when you're running--and all your little dendrites line up right and start sparking with electricity--then you can be moving and taking in the view with almost surreal precision. All of a sudden, every detail seems to be jumping out at you.

I know, no more kool-aid for me. But you did threaten me with a rather harsh prospect: no more running?!? I would miss
being me.


No comments: